Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Everglades: Geriatrics



We really wanted to get a fan boat tour of the famous Florida swamplands.  Sadly, most of them require at least a day in advance to make a reservation, and we didn't even think to do a tour until that day.  Instead, we took an Everglades National Park tour of the 10,000 Islands.  There were no gators to be seen, but there were plenty of geriatrics.  In fact, we were the only people there under the age of 60 other than the tour guides.  I quipped to Ayk, “If you added the age of all the people on this boat, it’d be greater than 10,000.”

I have no problems with geriatrics, but there are some disadvantages to senior-friendly tourist attractions.  See, I imagined a boat tour of the Everglades with the wind whipping my hair while some Who song blares in the background.  Hardly our experience.  This boat tour was as slow as their elderly patrons. 

So slow in fact, I literally had to bite my lip during this following incident.  When a soda can fell from a retiree’s lunch bag to the ground and rolled under their feet, it took an excruciating minute for them to retrieve it after I told them it fell.  A minute doesn’t sound like a long time, but I timed myself and it took less than 5 seconds.  Take that, Gramps!

We did see the nose of a manatee.  It's just as exciting as it sounds.








SHARK!!

No, just dolphins.  And believe it or not, they're not much nicer than sharks.

Aw, but they're so cute!





Mine was supposed to be a turtle.  Ayk's is a manatee.

No comments:

Post a Comment