Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Drive to Ft. Lauderdale


The near 900-mile drive from New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale was an exhausting 14 hours. To put that in perspective for you, that’s more than half of the length of the US Gulf of Mexico Coast.  It’s almost as far as Nashville is from Baltimore.

We both dreaded this drive –- especially because we didn’t want to leave New Orleans -- but at least one good thing came out of it: after visiting Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama were the only two states that I haven’t visited.  I can finally say I have been to all 50 states!  I definitely deserve those bragging rights after those torturous family road trips.

Pensacola Beaches
We made a pit stop at the Pensacola Beaches.  Ayk said we knew we'd be getting to Ft. Lauderdale late when a park ranger greeted us with “Good afternoon.”






Some of the whitest sands I've seen.

That sand looks just like snow.  We have a picture from South Dakota that looks just like this.

Boredom
We were so bored we resorted to watching Reading Rainbow on my phone.  That was actually the highlight of this leg of the journey – aside from the beach.

And you thought you wouldn't see Ped-radio after our Austin post.  Muwhaha!

For food we went to a Waffle House.  I forgot my camera in the car, but I can assure you that you’re not missing much – aside from indigestion.

At 1 AM we finally reached Ft. Lauderdale.  Ayk’s parents were actually worried, since he hadn’t updated Twitter yet.  This concern was a novel concept to me, considering I had to call both of my parents a day after we started for our road trip to tell them remind them we had left.   Parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment