Monday, January 24, 2011

Chicago: Part 2 (Wednesday Day)


 Wrigley Field
On my first trip to Chicago, I made a point to go to every site featured in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – one of my all time favorite movies.  I made it to all of the sites except Wrigley Field.  It was too far away by subway.  With a car, it was a quick drive.
Hey, batta, batta, batta!

Harry Carey: the patron saint of hot dogs

Athenaeum
We wanted to see an architecture museum, and found the Athenaeum on Google.  Turns out it wasn’t an architecture museum, but an old theater.


In the end, I think this was a better than any museum.

Water Tower
The Water Tower is one of the few buildings downtown that survived the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.


Inside this historic landmark, we got a friendly tour from Mike.  Ayk was more interested in the mechanics involved; I was more interested in the aesthetics.  Hence why I have pictures and no recollection of how the operation actually works.


Cultural Center
This building boasts the largest Tiffany window dome alongside intricate mosaic walls. 


Here we watched a classical cellist and pianist perform.  For free.  This is why Chicago rocks.


The Bean
Yes, it is as cool as it looks.







Art Institute
When I went in March, I spent 5 hours here.  I saw every exhibit.  This time, we only spent 1 to 2 hours there.  Initially, we weren’t going to go until we found out that weekdays at the Art Institute are free in January and February.  We got to see priceless works of art.  For free.  This is why Chicago rocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment