Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unemployment Road Trip

My name is Karmen and I'm unemployed.  Two weeks after the boutique I managed closed, my boyfriend got laid off.  As we join the staggering statistic of 9.1% of unemployed Americans, we decided to find a silver lining to this unfortunate yet all too common circumstance: after only a week of planning, we're taking a month long road trip across the USA. 

So I know you're thinking, "Why a road trip?"  There's no better way to get to know the places you're visiting.  And it's cheap.  More importantly, it's the way my family's been traveling ever since I was little.  Gotta stick with tradition.

"So jealous!  But why in the winter?"  Of course you're jealous, and we don't blame you.  As for the driving in the winter, a little spontaneity never hurt anyone.  We figured we might as well seize the opportunity while we're both jobless.  Waiting 'til the weather turns decent will mean that's a lot of sitting around and a doing whole lot of nothing while sending off resumes.  And what if one of us gets a job before the other?  Strike while the iron is hot (and the weather is cold).


"But couldn't you have just gone abroad?"  True, that would have been awesome.  But as fate would have it, Ayk sent off his passport to be renewed just a few hours before he got laid off.  Figures.  We plan to drive from our beloved Baltimore all the way out to sunny California and back again.  That blue line shows our planned route.  Things might change if the weather turns against us, but that won't deter us from taking a four-week adventure across this great country.

Stick with us as we see sites, visit friends and live it up with no commitments to anything but each other and the road.

5 comments:

  1. The last line is so cheesy, I have to tease you before Jessica does. But I am quite excited to hear about your adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the last line! Good luck and God speed!!!!! Picturesssss!??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is rude you did not mention that I was the one who recommended you take this fabulous trip and let you use my laptop etc. You should have a whole section of thank yous for ME. jk, but kind of not really.

    Have fun skanktastica

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol Jessica! Friends, what about Family? I know I will be the highlight of your trip...right? he he. Love the blog, can't wait to see all your adventures. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karmen, you're blog is looking awesome! So cool of you to do! Can't wait to see the rest, and please give Noelle a huge hug and kiss (on the cheek) for me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete