Tuesday, January 25, 2011

South Dakota: Day Two

 

Wall Drug

Before we headed to the Badlands on Saturday, we woke up and headed to Wall Drug – another tourist attraction you see billboards for almost 300 miles away.  

 



Badlands
Heading into the Badlands, I was a little worried after seeing a sign that said “Beware: Prairie Dogs Have Plague.”   Terrific!  What better time to catch a medieval disease while unemployed with no health insurance.  Ayk told me I wouldn’t have to worry unless I started playing with them.  Dammit, I really wanted one as a pet, too.

I got over that fear pretty quickly after being awestruck with the most spectacular view we had seen so far.  We both agreed it looked like Cappedocia, Turkey.  He's Turkish and has visited multiple times, and I visited once when I was 18.  His Turkish heritage is just one of the many reasons why he's so awesome.

Like I said, I wouldn’t have ever thought to come here during the winter, but seeing the landscape sprinkled with snow was breathtaking.











Mt. Rushmore


It might be a national treasure, but I still say it’s kitsch.  Don’t get me wrong – I get it.  It’s a timeless honor of our nation’s four of the greatest presidents.  It’s still rather gaudy.
Repping Maryland Pride

 Studying the maps intensely


The dumb chick who took this picture cut off George Washington's head, so here's a close up of him below:


Mt. Rushmore may not be the highlight of this trip, but it at least gives us some patriotic photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment