Friday, February 4, 2011

San Francisco: Twin Peaks & Lombard Street

Home to the hippies, a house with too many father figures, and sorta close to Ayk's friend Mo.

When Ayk told his parents and I told my mom about the road trip, they were mostly concerned about traveling through the snowy, mountainous areas.  My dad, on the other hand, was mostly surprised and disappointed that we were going to San Francisco.  “San Francisco?” he grimaced.  “The weather’s going to be awful there.”


Of all the wintry places we were visiting, like the Midwest, the Great Plains and the Rockies that get pummeled with snow, he was the most concerned about the rainy weather that San Francisco has year round.  Thanks for the heads up, dad.  Best bring my raincoat (I actually didn’t bring one, so I hang my head in shame for mocking my dad rather than taking his advice).


Though this was Ayk's first time visiting San Francisco, I went for Spring Break my freshman year with some Zetas.  The weather isn't the best, but it's a really great (but expensive) city that I knew Ayk would like.


Thankfully Mo, Ayk's friend from University of Maryland who lives in Sacramento, took us to see some sites new to both of us.  With so much to see, I divided our day on Saturday in San Francisco into four posts.



Twin Peaks
An overlook for a great view of the city, but of course it was rainy that day, so we could only see as far as the Castro and their giant rainbow flag (not pictured).




Ayk and Mo 




We were up to our elbows in "Uranus" ... jokes.


Lombard Street
The windiest road in the US, making it an ideal set for car commercials and a free roller coaster ride for tourists.





People actually live on this street. 



 I'm sure backing out of your garage only adds to the morning stress.


The endless stream of tourists are just the cherry on top. 



Good thing it doesn't snow here.

No comments:

Post a Comment